A simple definition of the atom is that it is the smallest particle that contains the properties of that element. Atoms having the following properties;
- All elements are made up of indivisible, tiny particles known as atom.
- For a same element, atoms are identical. The atoms are different for different elements.
- Atoms of various elements can combine with any another in a simple whole number ratios to produce compounds.
- Chemical reactions occur when atoms are joined separated or rearranged.
- Due to any chemical reaction, the composition of atoms cannot be changed.